22/05/2018

Toronto: City Guide

Now that my year abroad has come to an end *cry*, and I've been back in Bristol for a couple of weeks, I've been reminiscing on the amazing time I had while in the land of the maple leaf. Being only a couple of hours from my university, my friends and I frequented Toronto a lot throughout the year. We've all forged quite the bond with city, most of us now seeing it as a second home. 
I know for a fact that I'll be making plans to return in the not so distant future. So I thought I'd accompany this selection of some of my favourite pictures from our time in Toronto with some of my recommendations of where to go, what to do, and of course, what to eat. 


These photos were taken around the back streets of Queen Street West, one of the main shopping areas of central Toronto. With a full view of the iconic CN tower, the streets are lined with independent coffee shops, vintage clothing stores and plenty of eclectic eateries. 
I would say that the further down Queen Street you go, the better selection of food there is. Nearer the fashion district, where we stayed during one of our visits, you'll find a huge selection of authentically prepared cuisines: Caribbean, Vietnamese, Japanese, Mexican. The selection is endless. 
Our personal favourite for a quick bite to eat was Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant, with the best patties you'll find in the city. Trust me, we tried a lot during the trip. And Pat himself makes the experience all the more entertaining, great guy. 
If you're looking to explore more out of the way and quirky parts of the city, definitely check out Kensington Market which is right next to China Town. It's full of hidden gems like tiny independent jewellery stores, which can only let a few customers enter at a time, to local arts dealers and vegan bakeries.
Another place to try near here, which I'm sure I've mentioned before, is Early Bird Coffee & Kitchen which you'll find at 613 Queen St W. It offers incredible barista coffee and the most Instagram-able brunch menu. 
Think the classics: avocado toast and eggs benedict, as well as fusion-style dishes such as this black rice, coconut porridge with freshly sliced mango and pomegranate. Sounds strange, but I promise you it was delicious. 
Now, I'm sure you've spotted it lurking in the background of these photos. But when in Toronto, the CN tower is a must do. The main landmark of the city, you'd be missing out if you didn't at least go up to the glass floor viewing space for the most exceptional views of the surroundings. 
Or... if you like to think you're boujee like us poor students, why not book in to eat at the 360 Restaurant. That's the part just above the glowing ring of colour right near the top of the tower. 
It stands at the grand height of 553m. Those of you with a fear of heights have been warned. 
This restaurant definitely isn't cheap. My eyes watered slightly as I looked at our final bill. But for a luxurious 2 course meal with cocktails or wine, I would say it was worth every penny.
^See, the wine's so good it stole the focus of the camera from us. 
The menu changes with the seasons so you're guaranteed to get the freshest, most seasonal ingredients. This Atlantic salmon fillet I had was the best I've ever tasted. Cooked to perfection with a sticky, asian-style glaze.
And then my favourite part of any meal, dessert. This blueberry creme brûlée served with compote, a buttery shortbread and topped off with a brandy snap was honestly divine. It also was not lacking in terms of serving size, which seems to be the case with most fancy restaurants. 
^Those remarkable views of the city I was talking about earlier. Makes the price of the meal all the more worth it as the restaurant constantly rotates while you eat. Hence the name, 360 Restaurant. Don't worry, it rotates incredibly slowly so you won't feel the need to run to the bathroom. 
Of course, we then felt the need to climb all over the Canada 150 sign located right next to the CN Tower. Not obligatory but fun nevertheless. 
Also in the winter time, there are numerous outdoor ice rinks. Most of them are free if you bring your own skates. Otherwise, you can hire them for around 10 dollars. A great way to spend an afternoon with friends. 
Toronto really is an amazing city and I desperately hope to return sometime in the near future. It was a huge part of my year abroad and I urge anyone who gets the chance to take a trip there. Hopefully some of my recommendations come in handy. 

Thanks for a great time Toronto x


0 comments:

Post a Comment