05/10/2017

Fall'in in love with Canada - Niagara Falls

A bit of a different setting from the usual so I suppose I have a bit of catching up to do. I'm currently on a year abroad at Western University in Ontario, Canada. The last month or so has been a whirlwind to say the least, meeting lots of new people and adjusting to lectures again (unfortunately my second year of uni actually counts). But rather than drowning in my current essay sorrows, I'll just focus on the fun stuff. Being so close to the area and luck enough to have lovely family willing to chauffeur me around, of course we had to take a trip to one of the seven wonders of the world - Niagara Falls.
Let's just say it's not just my new British friends that are steaming on a regular basis...
After a relatively short drive for Canada's standard, we arrived in Niagara, parked up and wandered down the tourist strip. 
We were greeted by this breathtaking view, definitely not disappointing.

We got a little snap happy, which is just natural right? Water you expecting?
The weather was beautiful, making the sight-seeing all the more enjoyable and of course making the Falls look even more incredible.
Niagara Falls straddles the border between the United States and Canada, which my friend Laura and I were extremely excited about. It's such a strange feeling being stood on Canadian soil but literally looking over the water at New York State.
^ Obligatory tourist snap. 
Having properly enjoyed the sights, and being so close to the States, we thought it'd be rude not to hop over the border and see a little of what New York had to offer, even if for only a couple of hours. 
After a bit of trouble at border patrol, being British citizens we had to pay for a visa, we gave our fingerprints and were on our way. 
We spent the time wandering around Walmart for American snacks and eating the most humongous meals at the Cheesecake factory, all the while gushing about the fact that we were in the U.S. My Canadian cousin couldn't relate, but it was exciting for us Brits at least. 
I thought I'd end my first post from Canada with a few pictures of all the amazing new friends I've met in the month or so since I've been here.
Funnily enough, most of these guys are fellow Brits. You clearly just can't keep us apart, even on the other side of the Atlantic. 
So all in all I've slipped into Canadian life quite seamlessly. I've started to pick up on some of the lingo, and when you're told Canadians say 'eh' at the end of 90% of their sentences, they weren't lying. That and 'sketchy' must be up there with their most used vocabulary.  

The weather's been amazingly warm so far (we're talking the low 30's), but I've already been warned by several locals that this isn't going to last long. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, eh?

0 comments:

Post a Comment